Dr. Mawji’s Pearls on Women’s Preventative Health & Disease
Women are incredibly resilient when it comes to changes in health – mentally, emotionally & physiologically. Prevention is indeed incredibly important and being well EDUCATED on your body, mind & overall health are the initial steps to learning about your body, so that you can find out HOW to help yourself. You can take your health into your hands at any point during your lives!
Do you have a FAMILY HISTORY of, or have you been DIAGNOSED with any of the following?
· breast cancer
· ovarian cancer
· cervical cancer
· uterine cancer
· thyroid cancer
· OR any other female reproductive condition such as: PCOS, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS), cervical dysplasia (precancerous cells found on cervix), etc.
· OR any thyroid condition such as: hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s or Graves’), etc.
· OR are you entering or have you entered a new phase in your life such as: puberty, pregnancy, perimenopause, menopause, etc.
PREVENTION and MANAGEMENT are two broader concepts of naturopathic & integrative medicine. There are a variety of factors that research has shown, MAY influence any of the above. Here are a few:
· modifiable & non-modifiable risk factors (for example: things you can change such as your lifestyle and things you cannot change such as your family history, respectively)
· oral contraceptive pill use at any point in your lifetime
· hormone imbalance & hormone metabolism (key players being: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, cortisol << and their metabolites, insulin, thyroid hormones…and more!)
· screening guidelines for any of the above-listed cancer diagnoses
· INFLAMMATION – the “hallmark of disease”, which includes factors such as: oxidative stress & potential DNA damage
Prevention & management can never be completely 100% guaranteed, because as you know, there are so many uncontrollable factors that govern the above-listed conditions.
· an integrative approach to health,
· education on screening guidelines & symptoms to look out for,
· advanced laboratory testing of hormones & metabolites & other markers,
· clinical nutrition,
· & emotional guidance/support
…are all potential ways to better your understanding of your own body! Conventional medical approaches can be very helpful in treating/managing all of the above-listed conditions and naturopathic therapies can help you complete those treatments and get the most out of them by supporting you and your health.
Interested in learning more? I am offering Complimentary 15-minute Introductory Consults and I would love to answer your questions!