5 Tips for Healthy Skin
Is your skin preventing you from being truly HAPPY? It shouldn’t! Skin is the largest organ our body owns and it deserves some TLC, healthy lifestyle changes, a reduction in inflammatory triggers and maybe some hormone optimization.
Here are 5 tips to help you achieve glowing skin:
1. HEALTHY GUT = HEALTHY SKIN. Skin conditions are best treated from the INSIDE-OUT! Remove inflammatory foods from your diet (these may be different for everyone - talk to your Naturopathic Doctor). Sometimes, we don’t know that the foods we are eating, may actually be contributing to our skin issues. Approximately 70% of our immune system is in our gut. So, it’s safe to say that our gut health does impact systemic inflammation and therefore, may be impacting our skin. Lifestyle modifications tailored to your body’s specific immunological response is important for healthy skin.
2. HORMONE OPTIMIZATION. Once your gut is healthy and we are able to set a foundation for low inflammatory triggers, I often like to take a look at hormones. Thyroid hormones, adrenal gland hormones and reproductive hormones such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone can ALL play a role in skin health. And did you know that all of these hormones are related to one another? Did you also know that all of these hormones respond to inflammation?! Has your doctor tested your hormones thoroughly? I like to recommend urine hormone testing as this helps us test HORMONES AND THEIR METABOLITES - it provides us with information on how hormones are produced and being processed in the body.
3. HYDRATION. The best way to clear out toxins from our bodies is to DRINK LOTS OF WATER. We often get stuck in a rut of not drinking any water. Water is essential in preventing dryness and inspiring that GLOW FACTOR. Hydration however, may not be the sole factor regarding skin health.
4. MOISTURIZE and CLEANSE. Just as water helps maintain the integrity of our skin, so does a great moisturizer and cleanser. Use products that are all-natural and have a low toxic load. Talk to your skin professional to find out what is suitable for your skin!
5. PROTECT. ALWAYS USE SUNSCREEN, even on gloomy days. The sun is wonderful, but it does promote aging if our skin is left unprotected. Avoid those fine lines, wrinkles and age spots by starting to use clean products early on.
You do not need to be on a complex skin regime. See your Naturopathic Doctor for individualized care and build a team of professionals. Interested in learning more? Book your Free Information Consultation today!